Email Receiver Issues
Incident Report for x.ai
Postmortem

Public root cause analysis of domain failure on 1.12.18

On the morning of January 12, 2018 our site and email processing systems went down. After some investigation, we realized that the nameservers associated with our domain were switched. After contacting our DNS registrar, we were able to get the correction made.

Fortunately, after making this correction, we were able to put our systems back online. Once we were able to get the nameservers switched back, we experienced residual delays as we waited for our DNS change to propagate through the internet (a process that can take up to 24 hours).

Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 19, 2018 - 20:09 EST

Resolved
The DNS issue has been resolved and the system is fully functional.
Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 20:20 EST
Monitoring
A fix has been put in place. The system is slowly coming back to full functionality. We continue to monitor the situation.
Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 16:59 EST
Identified
We have identified the issue and are putting a fix in place. We will update once the fix is out.
Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 13:28 EST
Update
System Outage: We are experiencing a system outage due to a DNS issue. We are working to resolve this now.
Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 12:34 EST
Update
We are seeing some emails now being processed. We are still investigating the cause of the issues.
Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 11:04 EST
Investigating
We are currently experiencing an issue receiving emails and are investigating.
Posted over 1 year ago. Jan 12, 2018 - 10:48 EST